Did you realize that the chillies that lead to your tongue burning hot and caused tears rolling down to your eyes can be beneficial for overall health?
Let's look at the nutritional richness of chillies.
Chillies are seen as good source of vitamin A & C. The fresh chillies is rich in vitamin C and dry version is rich in vitamin A. And it also contain good source of potassium, iron, vitamin B, vitamin E and burn calories. Chillies also treats wrinkles.
By having chillies, you can keep your heart healthy. This is because chillies help in destroying the harmful cholesterol.
The benefits of eating chillies are plenty, but do not go overboard. Not that there is too much scope for this, as the ‘hotness’ will pour water on the enthusiastic and brave person!
Yours truly eat lots of chillies everyday. Anyway don't forget to drink lots of water, but do not drink like a hippo. Ladies, to prevent big tummy, sip your water slowly and no iced cold water.
Note: Above information are base on what I read from books and internet.
Let's enjoy 2 chillies dishes from my kitchen.
STUFFED GREEN CHILLIES
(A) 1kg Mackerel fish ( buy those with dots on the skin.)
1 tsp salt + 100 mls iced water (estimate only)
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/2tsp corn starch + 1 tbsp water
Note for making fish paste:
1/ Adjust water to the consistency of the softness require.
2/ Fresh fish require more water.
3/ To test if the fish paste is ready, boil some water throw in 1 tbsp of fish paste. Boil for few minutes until cook, taste it. If it's not springy, chopped again, then throw or slam several times.
4/ Due to my hand was stained with fishy smell I forgot to take picture of the fish paste.
(B) Green chillies/ red chillies
(C) 1 tbsp oyster sauce
salt to taste
pepper to taste
2 tsp chopped garlic
3 tbsp water (estimate)
1/2 tbsp black soya sauce
1 tsp sugar
3 pieces bird eyes chillies - chopped (optional)
1. Slice the mackerel fish, remove the bone. Use a tablespoon to scrape the fish meat. Use the back of the heavy cleaver to chopped the fish meat, add salt water in between the chopping. Chopped the fish meat until smooth. Add the corn starch mixture and knead lightly.
Okay, time to de-stress or if you have somebody in mind that you feel like punching.
Wet your hand, divide the fish paste into 2 or 3 portion. Throw or slam the fish paste on the chopping board several times to achieve a springy fish paste.
Make sure you throw or slam the fish paste on the chopping board not somewhere else.LOL
2. Slit the green chillies and remove seed. Wash and drain the green chillies.
3. Stuff the fish paste into the green chillies, smooth the surface with corn starch mixture. ( mixed 1/4 tsp corn starch with 1 tbsp water as a foundation to smooth the surface)
4. Heat some oil in the wok, add in garlic and fry till golden brown.
Add in the stuffed chillies and stir fry a minute. Add oyster sauce, black sauce. bird eye chillies and mix well. Add water and stew the stuffed chillies until the fish paste is cook. Roughly take about 10 to 15 mins. Add salt and pepper, sugar to taste.
5. Serve with white rice and enjoy.
Another simple and delicious way of eating chillies.
HOT AND SPICY BEAN CURD
2 pieces bean curd
2 red chillies
2 green chilies
2 to 3 bird eye chillies (optional)
1/4 bowl of anchovies
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cut bean curd into 1 inch strip.
2. Removed chillies seed and cut into strip.
3. Washed and drained the anchovies.
4. Heat up the oil and deep fried the tofu until crispy. Drained and keep aside.
5. Discard some oil, leave about 1 tbsp oil. Fried the anchovies until crispy, add the 3 types of chillies and stir fry for 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Add the fried bean curd and mixed well.
6. Serve with rice or porridge.
Enjoy my chillies dish and have a nice week ahead.