No person in the world has more courage than the person who can stop after eating one spring roll.
A spring roll is a traditional Chinese snack, made with a round, thin dough sheet with fillings rolled inside and deep fried in oil. Spring rolls have a long history in China. It is said that the pastry appeared way back in the Eastern Jin Dynasty, when people would make thin cakes with flour and eat them with vegetables on the day of Beginning of Spring.

The cakes were called “spring dish” at that time. In the Tang and Song Dynasties, the cakes were all the rage. And the custom was even featured in the poems by the great poets Du Fu and Lu You. In the Tang Dynasty, Spring Dish was also known as “the Five-Spice Dish”, because five hot and spicy ingredients like spring onion and garlic were added in the fillings.
Spring rolls are usually eaten during the Spring Festival in China, hence the name. Later, Spring Dishes and Five-Spice Dishes evolved into spring cakes. In the Ming and Qing Dynasties, there was a custom of “biting spring”, which means welcoming spring by eating spring cakes.
The practice was believed to ward off disaster and evil. Along with ever improving cooking skills, spring cakes evolved into spring rolls, which were smaller in size. Spring rolls were included in imperial court snacks. Today, the making of spring rolls usually involves four steps: dough sheet making, fillings preparing, wrapping and deep frying.
There are numerous types of fillings, including shredded pork with chives, shepherd's purses and sweetened bean paste etc. Spring rolls are ready when they are golden in color and come on top of the oil after being fried. When served, the rolls taste better if dipped in sauces. The snacks are crisp outside and fresh inside, really delicious.
Spring rolls vary slightly from places to places, with well known types being Shanghai Spring Roll and Fuzhou Spring Rolls.
Home made spring roll wraps
To make spring roll wrapper.
1/ Mix 500gm plain flour with 1 tbsp tapioca flour, 1 tsp salt and 2 1/4 cup water in a mixing bowl to form into lumpy batter.
2/ Then use your hand to lift up the batter and slam it several times, roughly about 5 mins until it hold together in robe.
3/ Cover with cling wrap and keep in the fridge over night or minimum 6 to 8 hours.
4/ Remove from fridge and beat the batter with food processor or mixer using dough hook for 3 to 4 mins.
5/ The fun part of cooking the wrap........it's tedious but fun.
6/ Use an 8 inch non stick pan, heat up the pan using low medium heat. Put a drop of oil and brush it round the pan. Reduce the heat to low.
7/ Let's play with the dough. Use your hand lift up a lump of dough and bounce it a little. The dough is very soft. Keep the dough cold for easier handling.
8/ Drop the lump of dough in the middle of the pan and smear it quickly clockwise or anticlockwise depending whether you're right or left handed. Smear as thin as possible. Pull up the balance dough quickly.
Be careful, don't burn your hand while smearing the dough.
9/ The spring roll wrap cook fairly fast, when you see the edge of the crepe start to curl up, lift up the crepe with your other hand. Made 16 to 20 pieces depend on thickness of the wrap.
10/ Cover the wraps with a damp tea towel.
Note: To make paper thin spring roll wrap require skill and practicing. For this batch the wraps is still not to my expectation, will give it a try again to get a thinner wrap.
Let's prepare the spring roll filling.
1 medium size turnip
1 small carrot - cut julienne
50gm french beans - dice
2 tbsp dried prawns
1 tbsp cooking oil
3 cloves garlic - chop
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1/4 tsp black sauce ( optional )
1 tbsp sugar or to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
Enough water to cook the turnip
1/ Peel off the turnip skin, wash and pat dry. Slice thinly and cut julienne.
2/ Wash the dried prawn and soak for 15 mins. Rinse and drain dry.
3/ Heat up the wok, add oil and stir fry garlic until fragrant and slightly brown. Add the dried prawn and stir fry for 1 min.
4/ Add carrot, french beans and turnip, stir fry for 2 mins. Add about 1/2 bowl of water and let it boil.
5/ Add oyster sauce, black sauce, sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Shake a generous amount of pepper of enhance the turnip taste.
6/ Cook for about 20 to 25 mins.
7/ Keep aside till ready to use.
300gm shrimps
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp soya sauce
1/4 tsp pepper
few drop of sesame oil
1/4 tsp corn flour
1 clove garlic
1/2 tbsp oil
1/ Peel the shrimp shell, rinse and drain dry.
2/ Season with sugar, soya sauce, pepper, sesame oil, corn flour and pepper.
3/ Heat up the wok, add cooking oil and stir fry the garlic until fragrant.
4/ Add shrimp and stir fry until cook. Dish up and keep aside.
Beat 2 chicken eggs, add 1/2 tsp salt, a dash of pepper and sesame oil. Fry into thin egg omelet. Cut into thin strips.
Dice 2 pieces of bean curds and deep fry until golden brown.
Peel the cucumber skin and remove the seed. Cut julienne.
Remove the bean sprout tail and rinse, you need approximate 100gm. Bring 1/2 pot of water to boil, put in the bean sprout and remove from heat. Give a quick stir and drain off the hot water. Do not over cook the bean sprout or else it turn soggy.
1 bunch of lettuce and coriander leaves. Rinse and drain dry.
Fried shallots
Sweet sauce. Mix 1 tbsp hoisin sauce with 1/2 tbsp hot water. Mix well.
1/ Blend 100gm red chilli with 5 clove of garlic, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 cup water. Bring to simmering boil.
2/ Mix corn flour with water, pour into the chilli sauce and mix well. Adjust the chilli sauce consistency according to your preference. Remove from heat.
Stir fry 100gm peanuts in non stick pan until cook, remove the husks and pound coarsely.
Now let's start the rolling.......
1/ Lay one piece of spring roll pastry on the plate and brush 1/2 tsp sweet sauce and chilli sauce.
Note: This spring roll wrap tear easily.
2/ Put one leave of lettuce and top with 2 tsp of cooked turnip starting at 1/3 of the wrap.
3/ Add a small amount of bean sprout.
4/ Top with few strips of egg omelet.
5/ Top with 3 pieces of shrimp.
6/ Sprinkle fried shallots and 1 tsp of crushed peanuts.
7/ Fold the bottom of the wrap up over the filling to encase the filling together..
8/ Tuck in both sides and roll through making sure that you keep all filling together and tight.
9/ Tuck and roll neatly.
10/ Do not over stuff your spring rolls or else, the wrap will burst.
The first roll is always extremely huge cos you tend to over stuff it upon looking at all the laid out ingredients.
There are various type of wraps to make spring rolls.
Egg crepe
120gm plain flour
1 1/2 cup water
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/ Beat the eggs lightly and mix with salt and water.
2/ Stir in the flour and mix well until smooth.
3/ Grease a 8in non stick pan lightly with a drop of cooking oil.
4/ Scoop approximate 3 tbsp of batter and cook the pastry for 2 to 3 mins.
No need to flip over the pastry.
5/ Remove from heat and cover the egg wrap with tea towel till ready to use.
While waiting for your turn to wrap the spring roll, try this finger licking good Coconut Glazed Chicken Wings.
6 chicken wings
3/4 cup thick coconut milk
1 tbsp soya sauce
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp pepper
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/ Marinate the chicken wings with coconut milk, soya sauce, salt, brown sugar, pepper and lemon juice for 4 to 6 hours.
2/ Grill the chicken wings using open fire or hot coals for 6 to 8 minutes, flipping and basting the wings with the remaining marinate sauce several times until the chicken wings is cook.
This chicken wings is sweet, slightly sticky, tender and moist. Serve with chilli sauce of your choice.
Be a hit among your relatives and friends...be different from the usual BBQ parties, throw a 'spring roll party' at home, in your garden...where the ingredients are laid out and guests make their own proportions to their own personal liking. It'll be fun.
Have a nice week ahead.
Amelia
dear friend, u always make my mouth water ..mcm2 u boleh buat. When I was a little girl there was this Indian man jual popia basah with the ingredients more or less macam yg u buat ni...where can I get hoisin sauce? is it halal? tq for the effort to put all these colorful lovely photos here for us to see. very sweet of u dear. tk cr.
ReplyDeleteHi IndaMarya, how you doing? Good to see you back in action. Thank you for your kind words and compliments. The hoisin sauce is actually seafood sauce, it's halal. You can get from any supermarket.
DeleteGlad tho know that you enjoyed my posting.
Have a wonderful week ahead,regards.
I absolutely agree with you Amelia. There's no satisfaction with just one piece of the rolls. I love the stuffing and the crispy outer skin. Its so inviting and I'm going gaga over here.
ReplyDeleteHi Nava, thank you for your kind words. Yes, practically everyone love spring rolls and it's really hard to stop eating especially the fried spring rolls. :))
DeleteHave a great week ahead,regards.
Your spring rolls look just too tempting..They look so inviting..
ReplyDeleteHi Gloria, thank you for your kind words and compliments. Yes, this spring rolls is awesome, most Malaysian and Singaporean love it too.
DeleteHave a nice week ahead,regards.
Hi Amelia, yes, spring roll is also one of my favorites, be it deep fried or without deep fried as well as Vietnamese spring rolls. These spring rolls are very yummy and healthy too. Love your version of Coconut Glazed Chicken Wings too. Very unique! Thanks for sharing such beautiful and yummy recipes. Cheers and best regards :)
ReplyDeleteHi Ivy, thank you for your kind words and compliments. yes, I think most M'sian love spring roll either fried or fresh type. The coconut glazed chicken wings is extremely delicious especially if using outdoor BBQ pit to grill it.
DeleteHave a nice day, regards.
Wow..., mouth watering dish !
ReplyDeleteAmelia, awesome post ! Enjoyed it :)
Have a great day :)
Hi Rajive, thank you. That's very kind of you. It's great to know that you enjoyed my posting. I appreciate it very much.
DeleteHave a great week ahead,regards.
I love this version of spring rolls...and I wish I could make the fresh wrap...I love these rolls with all kind of filling...and yes especially with peanut...yum!
ReplyDeleteThanks for this fun post Amelia....have a beautiful week :D
Hi Juliana, thank you. That's very sweet of you. Glad to know that you too enjoyed spring rolls. You can try the egg wrap, it taste as good. The fresh wrap... I'm still not happy with the end result, the wrap is a bit too thick. Anyway I'm going to try out again, to make it thinner.
DeleteHave a lovely week ahead,regards.
Lovely looking rolls!
ReplyDeleteHi YC, thank you for your compliments.
DeleteHave a nice day, regards.
I am impressed that you make your own popiah skin....got to try it because it's not easy to find this in the market these days. It's a dying business here!
ReplyDeleteHi Jeannie, thank you. That's very kind of you. It's quite difficult to order the fresh popia skin, anyway I also love to give it a try to make my own. Anyway my end result still not good enough, the skin is too thick. I'll give it a try again. Happy cooking.
DeleteHave a nice day,regards.
nice version of spring rolls and very useul post, detailed post too.. Thanks for sharing the process of making spring roll papers.
ReplyDeleteHi Nandoos, thank you. That's very kind of you. It's great to know that you enjoyed my postings.
DeleteYou're always welcome, I do enjoyed your recipes too.
Have a wonderful weekend, regards.
Hi Amelia! I have to salute you fo rmakimg your own spring roll skin. It is very tricky and takes a lot of practice to get it right. I have seen how it is made by someone very experienced and wow it was amazing. She can make so many pieces at one go and all so neat and thin. Me I think will just use the ready made one lah. Your spring rolls look very delicious and I know that if I were there, I can sapu 5 or 6 in one sitting. And don't forget your delicious chicken wings, That one also 5 or 6 can eat easily hee..hee...
ReplyDeleteHi Phong Hong, thank your for your kind words and sweet compliments. I very busybody, practically all the recipes also I love to try it out especially those challenging kind. LOL I love spring roll and being practicing making the skin but it's still not to expectation cos the skin I made still very thick. I will try again to make it until perfect.
DeleteThis chicken wings recipe is a keeper, I'm sure you will love 5 to 6 at one go. When you come I cook for you. :))
Have a nice week ahead,regards.
home made wrappers!!! wow... that sounds really interesting... the chicken wings also looks really delicious...
ReplyDeleteHi Rafeeda, yes, this spring roll is a very popular snack in Asia country, most of us enjoyed it very much. It's very tedious to prepare but then it worth the effort.
DeleteHave a great weekend,regards.
One For The Money, Two For The Show, Three To Get Ready... for the Spring Rolls..♫
ReplyDeleteHi Bananaz, thank you for your lively comments. How many spring rolls you need? :))
DeleteHave a great weekend, regards.
So much work goes into the filling and such expertise for the perfect spring roll! Another wonderful post and always a joy to read all the info and delectable pictures!!
ReplyDeleteYou have a great week too!!
Hi Kanak, thank you. That's so sweet of you, I appreciate it very much. I'd fun with my posting, glad to know that you enjoyed them. Yes, a lot of work and effort to made the spring roll but it's worth it. We Asian enjoy spring roll very much.
DeleteHave a wonderful week ahead,regards.
And spring rolls are a good design and can be taken with you easily!
ReplyDeleteHi Mark, thank your for your kind words and compliments.
DeleteHave a great week ahead,regards.
Hello Amelia! I love stopping by for a visit~ I needed the up beat music after the week I have had:) I absolutely love spring rolls and make them often. Your spring rolls look delicious~~ Have a wonderful week and Congrats on your cooking demonstration!!! Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines
ReplyDeleteHi Lynn, thank you. That's so sweet of you, I appreciate it very much. Glad to know that you love spring roll too. Me too, I never get tired of eating this. :)) It's great to know that you enjoyed the music.
DeleteHave a lovely week ahead,regards.
Dear Amelia, You make everything look easy and delicious. That is a sign of a great cook. These do look wonderful and the chicken does too. I hope all is well dear. Blessings, Catherine xo
ReplyDeleteHi my dear Catherine, thank you for your kind words and sweet compliments. Always love to see you drop by. Yes, the chicken wings recipe is a keeper, I'm sure you will love it.
DeleteHave a wonderful week ahead,regards.
Popiah.....all time favourite....yummy!
ReplyDeleteHi Casey, thank you for dropping by. Ya, my favorite too. :))
DeleteHave a great weekend, regards.
Your posts are the most fun! Love the recipes and pictures. Just good stuff -- thanks!
ReplyDeleteHi John, thank you. That's very kind of you, I appreciate it very much. Glad to know that you enjoyed them.
DeleteHave a great weekend, regards.
HI Amelia,
ReplyDeleteWho knew there was a history behind Spring Rolls, simply fascinating. I really enjoy when you "put a face" to your recipes. I adore Spring Rolls but would never attempt making them on my own. Although, your instructions are so helpful it doesn't sound too difficult. The variations are a good touch. I would love to try them as crepes first but I'm not too good at that either, lol...I guess I'll just have to "settle" by eating them through my screen while out in the garden:) Thank you so much for sharing, Amelia...
P.S. Now I understand about the DVD, silly me, lol...
Hi Louise, thank you. That's so sweet of you, I appreciate it very much. Yes, spring roll is a very appetizing snack, many Asian love it very much.. I'm glad to know that you enjoy spring roll. Even thou if you buy the spring roll skin, one need to put in a lot of effort to prepare the filling too. It's not that difficult to make only thing time consuming.
DeleteSorry for the misunderstanding regards the screen shot pictures. LOL
Have a wonderful week ahead, regards.
I learned to love Spring Rolls while I was in China. And although I enjoyed this post on the making of Spring Rolls, I'm glad my only job was to eat them!
ReplyDeleteHi George, thank you for your kind words and compliments. Yes, to enjoy spring rolls need to put in a lot of effort and time. Took me 1 whole day to prepared this appetizer but I do enjoy it. Wish you're nearer then I can invite you over for spring roll party. :))
DeleteHave a great week ahead,regards.
I love spring rolls too, but I'm not as hardworking as you. I usually buy the skins from supermarkets to make them. Nice post!
ReplyDeleteHi Shirley, thank you. That's very kind of you. LOL....I love spring rolls and I'm still not happy with my spring rolls skin...still practicing to perfect it. :))
DeleteHave a lovely week ahead,regards.
Thanks a lot for sharing the recipe... i always buy them.. but this i'll cook the spring roll...
ReplyDeleteHi Krishna, thank you for your kind words and compliments. Glad to know that you enjoyed spring rolls. Happy cooking.
DeleteHave a nice week ahead,regards.
Amelia the spring rolls and the chicken looks delicious. Spring roll wraps look like lots of work from scratch but it must be tasty to make everything at home
ReplyDeleteHi Akheela, thank you. That's very nice of you. Yes, spring roll is delicious but need to put in a lot of effort and very tedious job to prepare it. The egg crepe is easy to prepare but the spring roll skin need time to master it to make it as thin as possible. I'm still not very good at it, still practicing to perfect it.
DeleteThe chicken wings recipe is a winner,, I'm sure you'll love it.
Have a nice week ahead,regards.
Amelia , your diy wrappers reminds me of the ones we have back home ! We usually use them the same way as well , though I love your filling more , so much texture and awesome flavors :D
ReplyDeleteHi Anne, thank you for your kind words and compliments. Even thou a lots of hard work but I don't mind to prepare it cos I love spring rolls and never get tired of eating it. Will check your Philippine style spring roll sound interesting.
DeleteHave a wonderful week ahead,regards.
Hi Amelia, Spring rolls are one of my weaknesses! And will polish off easy 6 to 8 anytime. We on and off have a spring roll dinner party and lots of fun seeing friends try to wrap up with disastrous results....but all in good fun, and thats what spring roll parties are about.
ReplyDeleteLove your spring rolls. Sure looks delicious....and if invited over will make you raise eyebrows with my, "may I have another one" every few minutes.
Your pics says a lot of your food talents....well done. And love that beautiful header picture....
Spring rolls and chicken wings, a fantastic burping, belt loosening combination. That chicken wigs of your sure finger lickin' good too.
Amelia, you are good!
Have fun and keep a song in your heart.
Lee.
Hi Lee, thank you. That's very nice of you. Your words always give me more encouragement and motivation. I appreciated it very much. Arhh.... spring rolls is your weakness....when you balik kampong I'll make for you. You can polish as many as your want, my compliments.
DeleteThe chicken wings recipe is a winner, I'm sure you will love it too.
Yes, we Asian love spring rolls. I do love it very much and never get tired of eating it. Yes, here many love to have spring rolls party during festival time or during CNY when all the family members are at home. The fun is everyone make their own rolls and can put whatever they fancy.
Have a great week ahead,regards.
WOW! Everything by hand and from scratch! I'm so so impressed! The spring rolls and chicken looks absolutely mouth-watering! Thank you so much for sharing all your yummy creations!
ReplyDeleteHi Shar, thank you. That's so sweet of you, I appreciate it very much. The chicken wings recipe is a winner, I'm sure you will love it. The spring rolls is my all time favorite, even thou alot of work but I don't mind.
DeleteHave a nice week ahead,regards.
Spring rolls look absolutely yummy !
ReplyDeleteThis post is wonderful, Amelia. Your writing style, presentation, humor...well, I am your fan :)
Have a wonderful week ahead :)
Hi Rajiv, thank you. That's very kind of you. Your words certainly give me more encouragement and inspiration. I appreciate it very much. Once again, thanks for thinking so highly of me.
DeleteHave a great week ahead,regards.
You are welcome, Amelia :)
DeleteYou radiate positive energy :), all the time, even online too :) Just smile, laugh and be happy, anti-ageing secrets !
You are welcome, Amelia :)
DeleteYou radiate positive energy :), all the time, even online too :) Just smile, laugh and be happy, anti-ageing secrets !
Hi Rajiv, thank you for stopping by again with your sweet compliments. :))
DeleteYou too, stay well. Have a great day ahead.
you know whats the best part of your recipes..Amey! we get to see what these really look like. Say here, the spring rolls. They look the same what we too get here, served in restaurants..and home made ones too. But never, do we do these with that sauce paste. Just the filling goes in. Sure, urs wud taste soo heavenly..will the spread inside. The first picture is soo neatly presented...hugss :)
ReplyDeleteHi Sona, thank you for your kind words and sweet compliments. It's great to know that you enjoyed my recipes. Yes, spring rolls is very popular in Asian country, most of the Chinese love it very much.
DeleteThank you for thinking so highly of me, I appreciate it very much. Glad to see you back in action.
Best regards. Have a nice day,
just came back here to read ur reply :)
DeleteHi Sona, glad to see you drop by again.
DeleteHave a lovely weekend, regards.
Hi Amilia,
ReplyDeletethanks for sharing this recipe.I like spring rolls.A good treat for any time....
Have a great week ahead!
Hi Amila, thank you for your kind words and compliments. Glad to see you drop by.
DeleteHave a nice week ahead,regards.
Amelia
Looks like you've been away for a while Amelia - I hope you're enjoying your time off. I'll bet you're thinking up more tasty dinners, and desserts. You've got a gift, and it shows in your posts.
ReplyDeleteLove your header by the way.
Take care, and 'see' you here soon.
Hi Rick, thank you. That's so nice of you, I appreciated it very much. Yes, taking a short break to playing with my other hobbies, got some unfinished craft projects that had been lay off too long. LOL
Deletei'd fun with my posting, it's great to know that you enjoyed it too.
Be seeing you soon.
Have a great week ahead,regards.
Amelia